Kohl’s Cares would like to recognize children between the ages of six and 18 for their dedication to volunteer work. Kohl’s Cares is currently accepting nominations for their scholarship program in which students can earn up to $10,000 in scholarship money. According to Kohl’s, “winners will be chosen based on the benefits and outcomes of their volunteer service.”
Students must meet the following eligibility requirements to be considered for the program:
- Student must be between the ages of six and 18 years of age as of Mar. 15, 2015.
- Student must not have graduated from high school yet.
- Student cannot self-nominate. Students must be nominated by someone who is 21 years of age or older. Parents can nominate their children.
- Students must have volunteer experience within the last 12 months.
- Associates of Kohl’s Department Stores, Inc. and/or Associates’ immediate family members (parents, stepparents, children, stepchildren, siblings, step-siblings, or spouse) are not eligible.
The official rules are available at the Kohl’s Cares Scholarship program website.
Nominations can be made online. In addition to being 21 years of age or older, nominators must submit the following information for their nomination to be considered:
- Student information. Nominators will need to submit the student’s full name, age, date of birth, address, phone number, email address, school name and address, and the student’s expected high school graduation month and year. If incorrect information is provided, it may disqualify the student.
- Parent or guardian information. Nominators will need to supply the parent or guardian’s name, phone number, email address.
- Primary volunteer activity information. Nominator will need to share in depth information about the volunteer work the student has performed. The essay should include the type or purpose of the activity, hours invested, any items collected or money raised, number of people affected, and the outcome of the project.
Nominators can nominate multiple students, but must submit a new nomination form for each student. In addition, students can be nominated multiple times as long as different individuals submit nomination forms on their behalf.
The Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program will separate nominations into two age groups: ages six through 12 and 13 through 18 years of age. The following are the prizes students can win if selected:
- Local winners. Each local winner will receive a $50 Kohl’s gift card. There will be approximately 2,300 local winners selected.
- Regional winners. Each regional winner will receive a $1,000 scholarship that will go towards higher education. 180 regional winners will be selected.
- National winners. Each regional winner will receive a $10,000 scholarship for higher education. In addition, Kohl’s will donate $1,000 to a nonprofit organization on behalf of each national winner. There will be ten national winners.
Scholarships can be used to pay college expenses such as tuition, fees, room and board, books and supplies, transportation and other education-related expenses. The scholarship will be paid in the month of August upon higher education enrollment. The scholarship check will be mailed to the student and will be made payable to the recipient’s institution.
Nominations will be accepted until Mar. 13, 2015. Winners will be notified in May 2015.
See the official rules and learn more about the Kohl’s Cares Scholarship Program at the scholarship website.
Want to stay in the loop? Follow my blog to be notified when new articles are published. You can also follow me on Twitter, Facebook or Pinterest for information on college admissions.