One of the pieces of the college application is the college admission essay. The college admission essay can play a big role in the college admission decision. The essay is the thing that can set you apart from the crowd.
My Tips for college admission essays
- 12 Steps For a Great College Admission Essay
- 10 Myths About College Admission Essays
- Tips for Answering the “Why Us” Question
Spelling, Grammar, and other Proofreading Tools
- Grammarly* – Free tool that checks spelling and grammar and provides recommendations to fix your errors. In addition to essays, Grammarly can check emails, social media messages, resumes, and other important documents. Grammarly also offers a subscription service that provides a more in depth proofread, as well as a plagiarism check. *This is an affiliate link, which means if you purchase the premium service, I will receive a small percentage of the sale. You will not pay extra.
- HemingwayApp – A free tool that checks spelling and grammar. The different type of errors will be highlight and the app may provide recommendations for changes.
- Grammarist – Are you using the correct word in your essay? For example, is it than or then? Or, affect or effect? If you’re not sure, this website has a lot of great information to help you choose the correct word.
- Visual Thesaurus* – An interactive tool that allow you to discover the connections between words in a visually captivating display. While you shouldn’t be trying to change all of your words to words that sound more sophisticated, you might need a thesaurus to help you stop repeating the same word in your essay.
Do you still need a little extra help with your essay. Below are some books I recommend for your college admission essays.
The links for the books are affiliate links through Amazon. You will not pay extra; however, I do receive a small reimbursement if you purchase through the links. Thank you for your support of JLV College Counseling.
College Essay Essentials: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing a Successful College Admission Essay*
Escape Essay Hell!: A Step-by-Step Guide to Writing Narrative College Application Essays*