College admissions tests are not like the tests students take in school. Therefore, many students need to prepare before the tests. The following links provide information about college admissions tests, as well as test prep strategies.
- SAT. The test includes two required areas (Critical Reading and math) with a maximum score of 1600. There is also an optional Writing section.
- ACT. The test includes four required areas (English, Math, Reading and Science) with a maximum score of 36. There is also an optional Writing section.
- AP Tests. Advanced Placement (AP) Tests are administered by the College Board. Students can choose to take AP tests after taking AP courses in school. Some colleges give college credit for passing scores (3-5) on the AP Tests.
- Fairtest.org. Many colleges have stopped relying on standardized tests to make college admissions decisions. Fairtest.org is an up-to-date list of all colleges that do not require tests for college admissions purposes.
- TOEFL. Most widely used English language proficiency test for students whose native language is not English.
Free Test Prep Information
Interesting information about Test Prep from Magoosh*
Magoosh.com* is a test prep company that offers test prep for the SAT, ACT, GRE, GMAT, TOEFL, LSAT, MCAT, and IELTS. They offer free information, but students can also pay for more in depth test prep. *This is an affiliate link, which means if you purchase the premium service, I will receive a small percentage of the sale. You will not pay extra.
Online Test Prep for a fee
*This is an affiliate link, which means if you purchase the premium service, I will receive a small percentage of the sale. You will not pay extra.
- Magoosh.com* – 7 Day Free Trial for New SAT*
- Magoosh.com* – 7 Day Free Trial for ACT*
- Wyzant* – SAT Tutors* Online and search for tutors near you.
- Wyzant* – ACT Tutors* Online and search for tutors near you.
- Wyzant Coupon Redeem your coupon for $20 in free tutoring!*
While books cost money, many libraries, including school, city and county libraries, have a wide variety of test prep books. The books that come directly from the College Board and ACT offer full tests students can use to practice taking the exam.
The links for the books are affiliate links through Amazon. You will not pay extra; however, I do receive a small reimbursement if you purchase through the links. Thank you for your support of JLV College Counseling.
The Official SAT Study Guide, 2018 Edition* – The College Board
Cracking the SAT Premium Edition with 7 Practice Tests, 2018: The All-in-One Solution for Your Highest Possible Score* – Princeton Review
9 Practice Tests for The SAT, 2018 Edition* – Princeton Review
The Official ACT Prep Guide, 2018 Edition* – ACT
Cracking the ACT with 6 Practice Tests, 2017 Edition: The Techniques, Practice, and Review You Need to Score Higher* – Princeton Review
ACT Prep Black Book: The Most Effective ACT Strategies Ever Published* – Mike Barrett